Payment Alert - July 27, 2020

This is the City of Wells' only payment website. When you select "Payment Options on the left-han... [more...]

Reminder For City of Wells Utility Customers - March 19, 2020

It is very important NOT to flush any wipes down the commode into our sewer system. This includes... [more...]

Wells Homecoming Canelled - March 19, 2020

The Wells Community Homecoming scheduled April 4, 2020, has been POSTPONED only. This event will ... [more...]



To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

When are Council Seat Elections?

The City of Wells holds elections yearly if there are seats with more than one candidate signed up to be elected. Election Information can be obtained at city hall.


Do I have to register to vote in Cherokee County?

Yes, once you move to a new county you must do a change of address with your local election office. You may pick up a registration card at city hall, visit your local election office at

or registered online at

Where do the residence in Wells (PCT 2) vote?

Early Elections are held at The River Church 595 S. Marcus Alto, Texas 75925

General Elections are held on elections day at First Baptist CHurcj 629 Rusk Ave. Wells, Texas 75976

City Elections are held on election day at Wells ISD Cafeteria 100 Bonita Wells, Texas 75976 


Does the library make copies & fax for the community?

Yes, Copies are .15 cents per page & Faxing is $1.00 per page, Receiving fax $.15 per page

How can I get a library card?

Bring in a form of ID and we will get you a card during your visit. 

Does the library offer GED classes?

Yes, contact the library for more information.

City Council

Who can run for a Mayor/Councilmember seat?

To run for office in a general law city in Texas, you must, among other requirements:

• be a citizen of the United States; and

• be at least 18 years old on the date of the election; and

• have lived in the State of Texas for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the filing date for the election, and in your city or ward for at least 6 months prior to the filing date for the election; and

• be registered to vote in the county you live in; and

• never been convicted of a felony.


Do I have to register to vote in Cherokee County?

Yes, once you move to a new county you must do a change of address with your local election office. You may pick up a registration card at city hall, visit your local election office at

or registered online at

Where do the residence in Wells (PCT 2) vote?

Early Elections are held at The River Church 595 S. Marcus Alto, Texas 75925

General Elections are held on elections day at First Baptist CHurcj 629 Rusk Ave. Wells, Texas 75976

City Elections are held on election day at Wells ISD Cafeteria 100 Bonita Wells, Texas 75976 

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

Effective January 1, 2019, the hours for the municipal court will change.

We will be open Monday-Thursday 8:00 am - 5:30 pm and Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm. We will no longer be closed for lunch.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

Burning trash is prohibited but burning leaves and brush is allowed as long as the county is not under a burn ban. See city ordinance for more information. 

Municipal Court

How do I get my driving record?

Go to the Texas DPS link

Order form 3A. This form is required for Defensive driving, Deferred adjudication, and Pretrial diversion. 

Defensive driving can be ordered at any time during the 90-day program.

Deferred Adjudication & Pretrial diversion can only be ordered AFTER the end of the 90-day agreement. 

Do I have a warrant in your court?

You can call the court at (936) 867-0089 to check for warrants.

This court participates in the Texas DPS FTA Omni program with the State of Texas. Check your license on the website. 

This court also participates in the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC).

This is an agreement between the State of Texas and all other states in the United States. We will report all citations that are not finalized by a judgment or a payment in full to be sent to your state for non-renewal of your driver’s license, ID Cards, and Passport.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Wells, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application. Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Wells hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part-time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted when available.

Emergency Services

Who do I call if I have a medical emergency?

Always call 9-1-1 for a medical emergency. The 9-1-1 operator will dispatch the first responders to your location.

Fire Department

How do I know if were under a burn ban?

We will post when a burn ban is issued or you can check the forestry service website. 


Police Department

Who do I contact if I have an emergency?

Always call 9-1-1 if you have an emergency. Give your 911 address and they will dispatch an officer to your location. 

For non-emergencies contact the Wells police department or Cherokee County Sheriffs Department Non-Emergency by calling (903) 683-2271 and requesting a Wells Police Officer be sent to your location. 

During the 8-5 business hours, you may contact (936) 867-5593 and ask the operator to send the Wells Police Officer to your location. This phone is not manned after 5:00 pm or on weekends. 



How do I anonymously report a crime?

Yes, click on the "Report a Problem" button located on the left of the page. Select Crime Stoppers in the drop-down window. If you want to remain anonymous do not put your name. Simple put Anonymous in the area marked "name".

How do I get a crash report?

Purchase a copy of your crash report (CR-3) online.

Fast, Simple and Secure.

TxDOT Crash Report Online Purchase System Website

Costs and Ordering:
$6 for a regular copy
$8 for a certified copy - A certified copy is requested when a person needs an official document, such as for a legal proceeding.

Ordering a Crash Report by Mail

If you are unable to use the Crash Report Online Purchase System, you may purchase a copy of a Texas Peace Officer's Crash Report (CR-3) by completing the appropriate request form and mailing it with the required payment to the address shown on the form.

Contact Information

Phone: 844-CRISHLP (844-274-7457)
Brought to you by the Texas Department of Transportation Traffic Operations Division

How do I apply with the Wells Police Department?

In order to apply with the Wells Police Department, you will be required to fully complete a Texas DPS applicant’s personal history statement. Return the paperwork to the following address

Wells Police Department

Application Department

PO Box 20

Wells, Texas 75976

All applicants must be licensed by the State of Texas as a Peace Officer with preferably (3) three to (5) five years of full-time experience of active service and live within 20-25 miles of the City of Wells. 

Starting pay to be determined by experience with certificate pay being one of the benefits as well as sick time, comp time, vacation time, holiday pay, health insurance, life insurance.

Gas/Electric Utilities

Where can I pay my City of Alto gas bill?

City of Alto 404 W San Antonio Alto, TX 75925

Telephone: (936) 858-4711

Pay your bill at the Wells Commercial Bank location 1st -10th of every month

You can also pay your bill online at the link below. 


When are the garbage collection days?

Trash collection runs every Wednesday morning, Dumpster collection runs Monday and Friday

Do I have to have garbage collection?

Yes, Trash service is mandatory inside the city limits.

I live outside the city limits, can I get trash service?

Contact city hall to discuss trash service in your area. 

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

The city does not give extensions. The last day to pay your bill is the 25th of every month. Holidays and weekends do not change the due date. The city provides its customers with a  drop box for after-hours payments. 

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks.

The city flushes water lines once a month. This is something that is done to keep flow running through the lines and to remove dead water on the end of water lines.

Call our office and report low pressure for your area and we will send someone out to find the problem.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all.

When a customer pays their bill but does not pay the entire amount the system prints the balance due as a late fee showing the credit for the portion you paid. 

Adding your usage for water, sewer, trash, tax and late fee then subtracting the credit will equal the amount due. 

Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look; this is normal and will resolve its self as the air is pushed out of the line. 

If your water continues to be discolored call city hall so that we can flush your streets line. 

Why does my water smell like rotten eggs?

The water in our area is high in hydrogen sulfide is the chemical compound with the formula H 2S. It is a colorless gas with the characteristic foul odor of rotten eggs.

If your cold water smells call us so we can flush your streets line. 

If your hot water smells you will need to flush your hot water heater. 

It is recommended that you flush the hot water heater every 6 months to prevent hydrogen sulfide buildup and lengthen the life of your hot water heater. 

How do I get a copy of the city permits to operate water & sewer plants?

Anyone can submit an open records request to obtain the city's permits.


If there is a leash law but who in forces it ?

When we finally get a police department they will enforce it. Until then the city can only let pet owners know that there is an ordinance and they as adults should be able to follow the law. Unfortunately, a majority of the dogs are dumped in Wells. Dumping dogs is illegal and that should be reported to the Sheriffs Department if it is witnessed.ONly the police department for Wells can enforce an ordinance. 

Why do I need a personal meter shut off?

Each customer is required to have a personal meter shut off so that when the customer has a water leak they can turn the water off and on as needed. Also when the customer goes out of town they can turn the water off. You never know when a water leak will occur so it is better to turn it off than to come home to a flooded house and yard. 

**Remember when turning your water off cut the power to your water heater to prevent it burning up when there is no water going into it. 

Water meters are the property of the City of Wells and at no time should they be turned off by the customer. Any damage caused by the customer turning off the water meter will be charged to the customer. This cost can be as high as $200.00

Why do I have to pay for the water when I have a leak?

Any time water runs through a meter the customer is responsible for paying the water fees. If you have a leak that does not allow the water to go into the sewer then your sewer charge will be reduced to your average usage.  In most cases, the customer will be given a 3-month payment plan to pay for bills with a leak on them. Contact city hall for more information.  

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Wells please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.

Local Elections are held at First Baptist Church located at 629 Rusk Ave.

How do I establish Water Service?

Print and fill out the Contact of Service Information Sheet & Service Agreement found below.

Bring the agreement to city hall; please come in before 3:00 P.M. so that services will be turned on that day.

Items to bring with you:

  1. Photo ID/ Drivers License
  2. Lease / Proof of Purchase
  3. Service Deposit (Due in full at the time service is requested)



Wells Development Corporation

Current Projects for the WDC

The Wells Development Corporation is proud to sponsor the Veteran’s Memorial Plaza.

Honor your loved one with a personalized brick Set your Veteran name in stone for generations that come home to pay tribute to their service to The United States of America

Honor any active or honorably discharged military Veteran, living or deceased, residence worldwide,

of any US military branch of service which is recognized by the Department of Defense, including Reserves and National Guard.

Memorial Bricks may also be purchased in tribute to your loved ones for eternal remembrance. 

Brick size/prices are 4x8 $50.00 or 8x8 $100.00 (choose a symbol for the 8x8 bricks)

Proceeds go towards the city park improvement

Visit our website

Thank you for your contribution and for supporting the community!